ads

mercredi 16 septembre 2015

TWRP 2.8.5.0 fails to backup encrypted phones and restore password-protected backups



Recently, I've been experimenting with increasing the security of my phone which was recently migrated to CM (12.1) and TWRP (2.8.5.0). Let's just say that it did not go well.

First, I tried enabling a password for my TWRP backups. I set the password/encryption option and the backup seemed to complete fine.

Problem 1:Next I tried encrypting my phone. The encryption worked fine, but once the phone was encrypted, I noticed that TWRP lost the ability to create a nandroid backup. As soon as I enabled encryption, TWRP now prompts for a password automatically when it is launched. However, when I typed my passphrase, it says "Password Failed, Please Try Again".

Problem 2:Given that I've lost the ability to do a nandroid backup, I decided to revert the decision to encrypt the phone. Which basically means wiping the phone and restoring my latest nandroid phone. The wipe went fine and the restore proceeded without error. However, upon booting up the phone, it acted as if it just went through a factory reset. (e.g. a cleared /data partition). Just as an experiment, I tried restoring a week-old TWRP backup that was not password-protected. Once I rebooted the phone, its state was identical to how it was when I backed it up. I tried going into TWRP to restore the more-recent password-protected backup, but this time I purposely typed the wrong passphrase. It said that the password was incorrect. So I typed the actual passphrase, restored the backup, and once the phone rebooted, it was back to the factory-reset mode.

Conclusions:
  1. TWRP 2.8.5.0 cannot back up an encrypted phone. At least my M8.

  2. TWRP 2.8.5.0 cannot restore password-protected backups.

While an encrypted phone and encrypted nandroid backups are a good idea from a security perspective, they appear to just not work. The fact that the features are advertised as working is frustrating.

Questions:
Will a newer TWRP version address either of the problems? I installed 2.8.5.0 as I had heard of some issues with newer versions.
If TWRP doesn't work for this, is there another recovery image that will both backup encrypted phones as well as support the creation and restore of password-protected/encrypted backups?



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire