ads

mercredi 16 septembre 2015

2015 X vs 2014 X - Thoughts from a discerning owner



It's been about two days with my new X so far. These are my thoughts regarding some of the details that some others glaze over:

Moto display. Some were worried that with the loss of AMOLED that moto display notifications would light up a whole room due to the whole LCD screen being forced to activate. This is not a problem. Even though the background is no longer a true black, it still looks to be a very dark gray. The positive here is that the brightness of the white notification icon on the 2015 X is MUCH less bright than the 2014 X. I'd say that as a whole the 2014 X lights up a dark room more so than it's newer counterpart.

Speakers - Without downloading a decibel-meter app, the 2015 X's perceived loudness is ~1.5x louder than the 2014 X, with a notable improvement in quality of sound. I sold my HTC M7 a long time ago, but unless the M8 was a drastic improvement, I don't recall the first gen boomsound sounding this good/loud.

Headphone output is louder than the 2014 X. I usually have my phone connected to a USB DAC before it goes into the AUX of my car, but I tested it directly from AUX to the phone, and the volume is noticeably louder on the new phone. I'm curious how much more wattage it provides. Will have to wait for anandtech's review to know for sure.

Load speed. Apps launch noticeably faster on the new X. Apps with a history of sluggish load times finally load at a faster clip, eg. Play Music, Youtube.

Camera/battery is improved. This has been discussed ad nauseam, no need to reiterate.

Radio performance seems slightly better. Reception seems improved in areas where I usually have dead spots.

The new X performs more poorly on my personal chrome benchmark than its older counterparts. What I do is load up slickdeals.net, go to the classic view, then simple view, then scroll up and down. The page usually has a LOT of information, both text and ads, so scrolling performance is tested. It wasn't until roughly towards the tail end of 2013 that chrome performance on my test was 100% smooth, ie iOS smooth. 2013 X and 2014 X on 5.0 were perfectly smooth on my test. The 2015 X is janky in this test. The "upgrade" in resolution for the 2015 X was not matched by a capable GPU. Otherwise, all the other sites I go to scroll just fine.

That's it for now. Any other questions, I'll field them.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire